Since April 1, 2019, ICBC automatically covers 12 acupuncture treatments within 12 weeks of the date of the motor vehicle accident causing the injury. If you still need further treatments, an extension may be applied.
This applies to accidents happen on and after April 1, 2019. All you need is a claim number to start your treatment. No doctor's note. No upfront payment.
Please visit ICBC's website for more information:
The reason ICBC will cover acupuncture is because statistics shows that acupuncture can facilitate a quick recovery from minor injuries due to motor vehicle accident (MVA).
These are the 5 most common minor MVA injuries that acupuncture can treat:
1. Whiplash - It can start from just a minor neck stiffness and manifest into neck pain, shoulder pain, dizziness, blurry vision, or brain fog.
2. Back Pain - It's common to have soft tissue damage in the back, especially lower back. The discomfort level can range from stiffness to severe pain with limited range of motion.
3. Shoulder Injury - Because the shoulder is a region with complex structure including joints, muscles, tendons, ligaments, and cartilage, the injury can be complicated.
4. Chest Pain - Usually results from the impact of airbag or restriction from the seatbelt, there can be bruised chest muscles or even fracture ribs.
5. Psychological Trauma - MVA can leave people with PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder), anxiety, or depression.
Are you ready to start? Book your appointments now.